Re: Do "enabled", "disabled", and "not found" need to be qualified per instance?

2010-05-16 klockan 00:09 skrev Joanmarie Diggs:
> Right. These words won't be part of a sentence or fragment. So the
> gender and number (if required in a particular language) would be for an
> object which is understood by the user, but not explicitly
> stated/included in the string.

Short note about number/plurals: as far as I know, proper use of ngettext()
and friends correctly handle this case for all languages. This pattern works
really well for many language and is used in various Gnome modules:

  if (n == 1)
      message = _("There is only a single bar in the foo."));
  else
      message = sprintf(ngettext(
          "There is %d bar in the foo.",
          "There are %d bars in the foo.",
          n), n);

Note that the first string passed to ngettext() is never used in English
with this pattern, but required for languages with other "Plural-Forms"
expressions (as seen in PO files).

That's all.

    — Wouter