Re: Is rosseta F**ing GNOME git?

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 07:27:51PM +0100, Jorge González González wrote:
>> El mié, 17-03-2010 a las 19:17 +0100, dooteo escribió:
>> > Hi Olav,
>> >
>> > Module was 'Contacts'. You can see 3 PO files (ar.po, eu.po and id.po)
>> > uploaded in the same log. See [1]
>> looks like Spanish translation was also at some point imported, since I
>> didn't translate it and it didn't follow our style guide.
>
> Contacts wasn't always in GNOME git. Could've been uploaded while it
> wasn't on git.gnome.org. Perhaps when adding to damned-lies a more clear
> notification should go out to check existing translations?
>
> The person uploading it is one of the maintainers of the module.
> Friendly reminder that it is now part of GNOME git should be enough.

While having a look at http://git.gnome.org/browse/contacts/log/
it shows that Ross Burton simply added translations from Moblin,
http://translate.moblin.org/ (nothing to do with launchpad/rosetta).
See, for example,
http://git.gnome.org/browse/contacts/commit/?id=1199a97e5c502f215e29f5f92758a489e703c3f2

The way to deal with this is to ask politely the view of Ross and take
it from there.

Ross, normally translations at git.gnome.org are managed by the
translation teams
of the GNOME Translation Project. It is not common to have
translations inserted
from other sources. You need to talk to the coordinators of the
language teams first
before committing .po files.

It appears that your GNOME git account was used to push translations
to git.gnome.org from http://translate.moblin.org/.
Probably those translations happened at
http://translate.moblin.org/projects/p/upstream-translations/

Could we have your views on this?