Re: economy in translations

Ahoj,

Am Sonntag, den 21.02.2010, 17:56 +0100 schrieb Nils-Christoph Fiedler:
> i have a little question about economy in translating software.
> busy as a bee, we're translating every single line / string of software.
> but isn't there a possibility, technically, to just write a big library
> or a "super-giga-master.po"-file, which includes all of the strings,
> instead of translating equal strings in different software again and
> again?

Use a translation tool that provides a Translation Catalogue? Quite a
few of them around that can prefill your empty .po files... :-)

> so this might be a stupid question from a translator to a developer, but
> isn't it possible, that strings in software referr to one big catalog,
> instead of one .po for every single application?

Netscape 4.0 was great - it had a browser, a html editor, an email
client. It was one huge file to download with my modem, even if I did
not even plan to use the email client and the html editor.

Same with one big .po file. I simply won't need lots of strings because
I don't have the applications installed that correspond to them.

Hence modularity prefered...

Cheerio,
andre
--