Re: String strike force

Op Wo, 2010-02-03 om 16:59 +0000 skryf Bruce Cowan:
> I proposed a string strike force last August[0]. I think it was a
> reasonably well received, but I think the idea lost steam due to it
> being the wrong time of year. Now that string freeze is nearly upon us,
> I thought I'd start the ball rolling again.
>
> I think that the best way to go would be to have a sort of
> meta-translation like that proposed in [1].
>
> I realise this may be a bit late for 2.30 now, but I have been putting
> this off too long.
>
> [0] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2009-August/msg00269.html
> [1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2009-August/msg00325.html

I want to help out in my way:

I want to write a tool that tries to automate as many of the issues that
we can.  I realise that many things can't be done, but I am reasonably
sure we can do a few interesting things automatically.

It is on my list of things to do for the next few months to write
something like this (I've wanted to do it for some time) to try to make
it easier for programmers to write cleaner strings, and maybe also to
help the string strike force.

Please help me by taking notes of "classes" of errors, or things that we
might be able to spot automatically. I'll try to put some time aside to
script these things in a new tool built on the Translate Toolkit.

Keep well
Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: