Re: msgfmt error

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Pierre Wieser <pwieser trychlos org> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As the new maintainer of nautilus-actions project, I've fixed some typos in translatable strings which were marked in Bugzilla.
>
> I'm not sure if I was right to do this, but I have done "make -C po update-po" in order to update po files.
> All seemed fine, but when I wanted to push to gnome git, the pre-hooks refuses with a message error standing that dz.po file would be broken :
>
> $ msgfmt -c dz.po
> dz.po:1018: number of format specifications in 'msgid' and 'msgstr[1]' does not match
> msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
>
> I've searched for this error, but Google has not been my friend today ;-(
>
> At last, I've commented the offending lines in the dz.po file (this is bad, yes !).
>
> Could someone explain me what is the problem please ? I surely made a mistake somewhere ?
>
> By the way, giving me a link to a maintainer how-to against i18n would be also a great thing, as I didn't find anything under MaintainersCorner..

The typical process is, for such problematic messages, to change it from:

#: ../libnautilus-actions/nautilus-actions-config-schema-reader.c:744
#, c-format
msgid ""
"This XML file is not a valid Nautilus-actions config file (missing key: %s)%s"
msgid_plural ""

#: ../libnautilus-actions/nautilus-actions-config-schema-reader.c:744
#, fuzzy, c-format
msgid ""
"This XML file is not a valid Nautilus-actions config file (missing key: %s)%s"
msgid_plural ""

which means, you add 'fuzzy' to the message type, and then the tools
will consider this message requires attention from the translator, and
will not flag as invalid anymore.

This issue happens quite often, so I'll look into where to add in the
documentation.

Simos