Re: Taking screenshots for manuals

2009/6/18 Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org>
Kenneth Nielsen wrote:

> > Another thing I'd like to point about screenshots is the need to
> > disable subpixel hinting.
>
> What does that mean and how do I do that?

In the Fonts tab of Appearance Preferences, you can choose a special
rendering for the text, subpixel smoothing gives really good results
on LCD screens but is tied to particular screen settings (it depends
on the ordering of subpixels).

Thus a capture using subpixel hinting, when viewed on another screen,
would have its text blurry and strangely colorised.

On the contrary the "Best shapes" and "Best contrast" settings are
independent of whatever screen type is used, this is why it is
preferred to use them.

Thanks for clearing that up.
\Kenneth