Re: Please remove Slovak Team from TeamChangesState page

Hi Andre,

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:24:59PM +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Hi Marcel,

> > The situation described at the page was valid in mid-2007. In that time
> > it was true. I was very overloaded and I was unresponsive to e-mail from
> > our Slovak translators for about a year (maybe longer). During that
> > period my commit activity was zero too.
> >
> > Since approx. October 2007 I started again engage in the GNOME
> > translation project and now the situation is better (not ideal, but much
> > better :-)).
>
> Which leads me to the question: What is missing to get an ideal
> situation?

Ideal situation does not exist in real life :-).

> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/sk/ names two translators, but no

Vertimus is pretty new functionality, we are just starting to use it.

I am in a way to better formalize the Slovak translation process. Now I
am waiting for gnome-sk-list gnome org mailing list approval. I
requested[1] the mailing list a week ago, no response till today.

[1] Using this process http://live.gnome.org/NewListRequest

> reviewers. https://lists.linux.sk seems to be down for me (wanted to
> take a look at the archives).
> *If* there's a bootleneck somewhere in the Slovak translation progress
> it would be good to identify it. Missing enough Slovak translators and
> contributions in general? Only one or two people that review
> contributions? Or do you need more people with svn commit permissions?

Please wait a bit. When we will have the new mailing list everything
will be more clear.

And it is true that we do not have enough translators with good language
knowledge.

> GNOME Bugzilla lists 38 open bug reports against the Slovak translation
> which is quite a lot, so there are people around interesting in
> improvements. In the last 90 days, 13 reports have been filed. 1 has
> been closed.

Yes. There are several old bugreports with updated translations
(submitted by few volunteers during my "dead" period). Many similar
updates were commited by people outside the Slovak translation team just
because the translation was in the bugzilla and somebody requested for a
commit. Without any QA.

This led to a big quality degradation (I suspect most of such
translations came from launchpad, you know). We are still suffering in
several modules by this.

> On the other hand I see that 23 sk.po files have been updated in the
> last 90 days - sounds like good progress, even more surprising to me
> that the stats on http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/sk/ do not reflect
> that.

These are mostly quality improvements.

> Interested in helping out if somehow possible,

<joke>
Are you able to translate to Slovak?
</joke>

Yes. I would like to see the gnome-sk-list gnome org mailing list
approved and working.

Thanks a lot for your help and interest!

| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   marcel telka sk  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |
|                jabber:   marcel jabber sk |