Re: 2.26 will use GTK+ 2.16

On 1/4/09, Kenneth Nielsen <k nielsen81 gmail com> wrote:
[...]
>  >>  >>  The GTK+ team decided for a short 2.16 cycle, so it can already be
>  >>  >>  used for GNOME 2.26; this is great news and something many developers
>  >>  >>  wanted, as there are already interesting features:
>  > [...]
>  >>  also the ability to parse pango attributes on GtkLabel directly (allowing
>  >>  translatable strings without markup to have fancy pango sugar).
>  >
>  > Wohoo! This has been one of the most annoying issues for translators
>  > for many years. And now we have a solution in sight, perhaps even for
>  > GNOME 2.26! No more wasting time and resources on "translating"
>  > markup... I'm starting to feel sentimental, and my eyes are almost
>  > getting wet... A tremendously big thanks to everyone involved!
>  >
>  >
>  >>  Nice, I'm going to do my best to pump out some nice editing magic
>  >>  for the new GtkEntry features from Glade, and I'll see if I cant squeeze in
>  >>  some pango attribute support on other widgets than just label
>  >>  (I guess we can set attributes on entries too... not sure what else...)
>  >
>  > That would be awesome...!
>

> This is indeed great. I don't quite get what he is talking about with
>  the "editing magic", so I don't know if it is the same thing I asking,
>  but I was wondering if it would in any way be possible, to make some
>  scripting magic, if some project drops the markup but still has the
>  same strings, so we don't have to update those manually?

Let's worry about our existing translations later, and do one step at a time.

The first step, if and when the feature he is discussing would be
implemented, would be for us to start filing bugs against modules that
include glade markup, so that they actually start using those features
instead of including markup. Only after we would have convinced them
would we need to start worrying about removing the markup from our
translations as well...