Re: Deficiency in Git Walkthrough for translators http://live.gnome.org/GitMigration/Translators

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 09:59 +0000, Simos wrote:

> When you clone a repository with ```git clone```, you download the
> necessary files for what we used to call HEAD only.

no, this is not correct; when you clone you effectively download the
entire remote repository locally.

saying that you only download the necessary files would imply that you
need to download more -- when in fact you can be completely offline.

a possible rephrasing is:

"""
When you clone a repository with ```git clone``` you are positioned by
default at the tip (or HEAD) of the "master" branch.
"""

> You can verify with
>
> {{{
> $ git branch
> * master
> $ _
> }}}
>
> How can you view the available remote branches, so that you can
> checkout later? You use the ```-a``` parameter in ```git branch``` in
> order to show All available branches, both local and remote.

to see the remote branches use the -r command line switch; -a will show
you all available branches, but it's not necessary -- especially if you
just want to create a new tracking branch.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,