Re: Nautilus string freeze break request

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 15:37 +0100, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> 2009-02-19 klockan 15:25 skrev Alexander Larsson:
> > > Can you please describe exactly what "The source file is overwritten by
> > > the destination." means? Is it something that is happening, will happen
> > > or has happened already?
> > Its what would happen if we continued, but we've detected this and are
> > showing an error dialog saying this.
> > Perhaps not an ideal string, any improvements are accepted gladly.
>
> This sentence:
>
>   "The source file is overwritten by the destination."
>
> ...implies something is about to happen, but from your explanation I
> understand that this error is shown when something was *prevented* to
> happen. So, I'd suggest changing it to something like this:
>
>   "Source file cannot be overwritten by the destination file."
>
> Does that make any sense?

The main error message is "You cannot move a file over itself." and then
there is a secondary message describing this which is "The source file
is overwritten by the destination.", i don't think using cannot a second
time is a good description.

However, maybe we can do:
"You cannot move a file over itself."
"The source file would be overwritten by the destination."