No GTK+ translations without a program translation?

Hallo all

I'm seeing some strange behaviour from time to time that I hope somebody
here can help me trace/understand. Some GTK+ applications seem to not be
using my Afrikaans GTK+ translations. I'm still trying to collect some
information, so can't say exactly when it happens. The behaviour seems
to have changed in the last year, although I can't remember exactly.

In Evolution when writing a new e-mail, everything under the Edit menu
(Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste...) is in English, even though I have them
translated in my gtk20.mo. I have an Afrikaans translation for Evolution
installed. These strings don't appear in the po file for Evolution, so I
really expect these to be the strings from GTK+.

In Gimp, none of the GTK+ strings are translated. Not stock menu labels,
nor standard dialogues such as File->Open or Help->About. I don't have
any Afrikaans translation of Gimp installed. I can see similar behaviour
for Gedit if I rename gedit.mo to something else. If I install a gimp.mo
from another language into the Afrikaans directory, _some_ Afrikaans
translations from GTK+ are used. Standard dialogs (like File->Open and
Help->About) seem to use their Afrikaans translations, but stock menu
items not. For some weird reason it seems that Gimp has all the stock
items duplicated in its own file.

In Virtaal the GTK+ stock menus and dialogues are translated in
Afrikaans whether I have the Afrikaans translation of Virtaal installed
or not.

Does anybody have an idea why the GTK+ translations are sometimes not
being used? Is it related to whether glade is used? Perhaps the
programming language? (Virtaal is written in Python and uses glade)

Any help appreciated.

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: