[no subject]

  Name=GEdit
  GenericName=Text Editor
  FullName=GEdit Text Editor

and

  Name=Transmission
  GenericName=Bittorrent Client
  FullName=Transmission Bittorrent Client

The actual translation of FullName key value will depend on single
translator, and could change within the same language, expecially for
translations of applications outside gnome.org. So you could have

  FullName[it]=Editor di testo GEdit
  (GenericName Name)

  FullName[it]=Transmission - Client bittorrent
 (Name - GenericName)

This could be really bad for usability :(
The programmatical approach will help to have the same layout for all
applications: just put a "%$1s %$2s" translatable message in glib or
gnome-menus and let translation team to pick up their preferred
localized layout.

My suggestion, if applicable, is to fix the usage of Name key in
desktop files from GNOME/Gtk+ apps and follow KDE approach, see [2].
Well, the "GenericName (Name)" default maybe is not the best :)

> For example, in French, it wouldn't be "Name + GenericName" (ex:
> "Rhythmbox" "Music Player") but "GenericName + Name" (ex: "Lecteur de
> musique" "Rhythmbox"), and that rule (afaik) would work in all cases.
>
> Would such a simple rule exist for all languages?

In Italian language the "rule" is `GenericName Name`, but as
translation team we allowed to use `Name - GenericaName`. We choosed
this approach to highlitgh both the "branding" (Name) and the usage
(GenericName)

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-March/msg00325.html
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2009-July/010809.html