Re: Issue with script for Kashmiri Localisation

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:27:23 +0530
"RKVS Raman" <rkvsraman gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Kashmiri language can be written in 2 scripts, one is Devnagari
> and other is Perso-Arabic.
>
> Is it possible to have both scripts supported in GNOME l10n for Kashmiri?

Yes, should be possible by adding variants.

The larger problem with Kashmiri is that it needs Unicode
points for certain vowels that have no equivalent in Arabic.
This is something that we learnt from folk at the University
of Kashmir, who are working on a font including these changes.
A proposal to add these points to the Devanagari script is
also apparently under discussion with Unicode, and someone
should start one for Arabic. I am not sure how the current
translations have been done in the face of such issues.

Regards,
Gora