Re: Finding a string in translations

> روز چهارشنبه، 2008-05-21 ساعت 08:26 +0300، Tomas Kuliavas نوشت:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >  Is there a fast way to find the location of an untranslated
> message?
>> >
>> >  For example I wann translate "Add/Remove..." string, how I can find
> out
>> > its po file?
>>
>> Search for string in /usr/share/locale-langpack/. If you can't find
> it,
>> try installing locales that have more translations than Persian.
>>

> I did a grep (with tanks to Vikram), this is the code:
>
>>mf mf:~$ grep -r 'Add/Remove' /usr/share/locale-langpack/
>>mf mf:~$
>
> But it didn't find a resilt!
>
>> It is in gnome-app-install.po/gnome-app-install.mo on Ubuntu 7.10.
>>

> My Ubuntu is 8.04 and I have no such file in locale-langpack!

If you can't find it, install other language packs. According to ubuntu
stats French and Spanish translations are the largest ones.

Other way to locate string is to find application launched by that menu
entry. Right click on menu, copy it to Desktop and check properties of
desktop entry. http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gnapbk4.jpg

>> You can find translation template at
>> http://people.ubuntu.com/~mvo/bzr/gnome-app-install/gai--main/po/
>>

> I checked the link, there is no fa.po (for Persian).
>
> Also there is no such file in:
> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/fa/gnome-2-22
>
> How can I make one? I must use pot file?

"Translation template" is pot file.

Take your largest translation and run 'msgmerge your.po
gnome-app-install.pot -o gnome-app-install.po' or use tools provided by
your gettext editor.

If you want to submit your gnome-app-install translation, you might have
to contact Ubuntu Persian translators. I am not familiar with Ubuntu
translation procedures, but I suspect that they will want you to use
launchpad.

--
Tomas