Re: translation maintanence pratices

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 21:37 +0700, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask other teams on how they maintain their translations.
>
>  - How do you do translation review? diff-ing two po files gives me a
> mess. Surely tools like podiff help, but I'd rather not depend on such
> tools. For example when I do post-review via gnome svn web. I'm
> thinking a tool that separate changes into two commits: one for
> automatic changes and one for human changes (or even never commit
> automatic changes at all)

I can't speak for anybody else doing en_GB translation, but I've been
playing around with a modified version of our en_GB.pl translator which
lists differences between the automatically-translated versions of
strings, and what's in SVN. See
http://tecnocode.co.uk/2008/03/25/improving-language-strings/

>  - How do you deal with text wrapping? msgcat -w seems to wrap msgid
> as well, which I don't want to.
>
>  - The last one is update translations on both HEAD and a branch, say
> gnome-2-22? Stop working on HEAD when an application branches is my
> favourite option. Just wondering though because sometimes I like to
> translate a little bit each day rather than translate all when it goes
> string freeze.
>
> Thanks

Regards,
Philip