Re: Copyright assignment policy

Hello,

Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>, Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:57:31 +0100:

> [CC'ing gnome-i18n]
>
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 14:24 +0200, ash contact bg wrote:
> >
> > I am Alexander Shopov and I act as a co-ordinator of the Bulgarian Gnome
> > translation team.
> >
> > Up till now, the copyrights have been assigned to the Free Software
> > Foundation, Inc.
> >
> > I have personally contacted the individual contributors who gave me
> > their permission (informal) to change the copyright assignments in the
> > po-files for those translators that had retained copyright and assign
> > that to FSF.
>
> Don't do that.  That adds an unnecessary barrier to entry, and you are
> essentially taking their contribution away from them.

So what should one fill in the appropriate PO initial comment
line(s)? I'm wondering whether the translator and/or translation coordinator
really should investigate who is and who is not the package's copyright
holder, because this may be very difficult, if not impossible, to find out.
(I assume that usually there are simply too many copyright holders for the
package to just write them down in the catalog initial comment.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give a clear answer on this (if
it's possible at all).

Petr Kovar
Czech translation team coordinator