Re: Obsolete packages

2008/5/23 Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net>:
Le jeudi 22 mai 2008 à 11:48 +0100, Djihed Afifi a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> Currently in damned-lies there are many obsolete packages that should
> probably be deleted or moved into an "obsolete" release set. They may
> unnecessarily lure translators into wasting time translating packages
> that will never be released.
>
> Examples include:
> * glade  (not glade-3).
> * gaelon  (no longer Gnome's browser, not aware of any working on it).
> * gtetrinet (orphaned?)
> * pan/pan2: any plans for these?
>

> Any thoughts?

I understand your concern, but it's always difficult to state when a
module is really obsolete.
glade still got a release last December, galeon published 2.0.5 in
February, ...

I suspect teams who already translated most of the Desktop should know
GNOME enough to estimate if it's worth to translate other releases
modules.
Currently we follow SVN policy, and when a module is moved to SVN
Archive (http://svn-archive.gnome.org) it is removed from
l10n.gnome.org.

Hey everybody.
This is sort of a late response to this discussion but I have been busy so it couldn't be before now. I share the concern of Djihed and I don't think that it is a good solution to rely on people probably knowing what not to touch. I think an "obsolete" or "nearly obsolete" release set would be a good solution for those modules whose progressive development (these may still release but only for bug fixing) has stopped because they have been replaced.
Regards Kenneth Nielsen