Re: Translation memories

So everybody is OK?

Internally a database like sqlite and in a future maybe an option for mysql too and
with options to import/export to diferrent formats.

On Jan 28, 2008 11:08 AM, Gudmund Areskoug <gudmundpublic gmail com> wrote:
Hello Nacho,

Nacho wrote:
> What about use a database like sqlite and add options to save/import in/from
> other formats?

this is IMHO the way to go.

A "proper" DB engine should offer certain advantages over handling plain
text based things like TMX.

TMX, as the name says, is a format made for Translation Memory eXchange.

TMX support is important, since it's open, free, and an industry
standard, supported by lots of different software, free as well as
closed source, specialized localization tools as well as general CATs.

Supporting import and export of TMX would make all manner of cooperation
and freedom of choice easier. For one, it would make switching *to*
Kbabel/Kaider/Lokalizer easier.

XLIFF is another such open format, intended for sharing/exchanging
translation files (the work proper, not the memory resources). AFAIK,
XLIFF was never meant as a translation memory file format.

Support for XLIFF would still be a very nice thing. :)

BR,
Gudmund