Re: PO comparison/review tool

Hello Åsmund
A friend of mine and myself have written a new version of podiff, because we wanted some different features than what was in the other version (the hack mentioned in some of the earlier mails).
It's main features is that it makes podiff which uses the ordinary diff syntax i.e. '+' and '-' but it makes sure that you always get the entire chunk of text that is related to one string as context, so that you that you can see comments and stuff like that.
Some translation tools likes to rearrange the pofiles, something like breaking a comment line up in more lines, even though the string has not been changed. This would normally show in a diff. For this purpose podiff has "Excessively Eager Editor Compensation" which removes these from the output. To use podiff simply get it[1] and make it executable and use like this
   ./podiff old.po new.po
or with Excessively Eager Editor Compensation
   ./podiff -e old.po new.po

Podiff is not perfect as it is rigth now (probably my first real python script), but I think it does the job pretty well, anyway I plan a rewrite later in the year when I am done with my masters. So you can use it if it seems useful to you. I have pasted a piece of example output below

Regards Kenneth Nielsen
[1] http://www.student.dtu.dk/~s021864/translation/

=== Sample output from Danish translation of bug-buddy ===
# Danish translation of bug-buddy.
# Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# Kenneth Christiansen <xxxxx>, 1999.
# Birger Langkjer <xxxxx>, 2000.
# Keld Simonsen <xxxxx> 2000.
# Ole Laursen <xxxxx>, 2001, 02, 03, 04, 06.
# Martin Willemoes Hansen <xxxxx>, 2004, 05.
# Kenneth Nielsen <xxxxx>, 2007
+# M.P. Rommedahl <xxxxx>, 2008
#
# Konventioner:
#
#   Bug Buddy -> Fejl-Frede
#
-# Husk at tilføje dig i credit-listen
+# Husk at tilføje dig i credit-listen
#      (besked id "translator_credits-PLEASE_ADD_YOURSELF_HERE")
# Hmm. Det ser ud til at den er udkommenteret 24 Feb. 2007
#
msgid ""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: bug-buddy\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2008-01-30 18:15+0000\n"
-"PO-Revision-Date: 2007-09-08 14:06+0200\n"
-"Last-Translator: Kenneth Nielsen <xxxxx>\n"
+"PO-Revision-Date: 2008-02-19 08:47+0100\n"
+"Last-Translator: M.P. Rommedahl <xxxxx>\n"
"Language-Team: Danish <xxxxx>\n"

#: ../src/bug-buddy.c:373
#, c-format
msgid "Bug Buddy was unable to view the link \"%s\"\n"
-msgstr "Fejl-Frede kunne ikke vise lænken \"%s\"\n"
+msgstr "Fejl-Frede kunne ikke vise henvisningen \"%s\"\n"

#: ../src/bug-buddy.c:1065
#, c-format
msgid ""
"The application %s crashed. The bug reporting tool was unable to collect enough information about the crash to be useful to the developers.\n"
"\n"
"In order to submit useful reports, please consider installing debug packages for your distribution.\n"
"Click the link below to get information about how to install these packages:\n"
msgstr ""
-"Programmet %s gik ned. Fejlrapporterings-værktøjet var ikke i stand til at "
-"indhente tilstrækkeligt med information om nedbruddet til at kunne være til "
-"gavn for programudviklerne.\n"
-"\n"
-"Du kan overveje at installere pakker til fejlsøgnings til din distribution "
-"så du fremover har mulighed for at indsende nyttige fejlrapporter.\n"
-"Klik på lænken herunder for få information om hvordan man installerer disse "
-"pakker:\n"
+"Programmet %s gik ned. Fejlrapporterings-værktøjet var ikke i stand til at indhente tilstrækkeligt med information om nedbruddet til at kunne være til gavn for programudviklerne.\n"
+"\n"
+"Du kan overveje at installere pakker til fejlsøgnings til din distribution så du fremover har mulighed for at indsende nyttige fejlrapporter.\n"
+"Klik på henvisningen herunder for få information om hvordan man installerer disse pakker:\n"

#: ../src/bugzilla.c:487
-#, fuzzy, c-format
+#, c-format
msgid ""
"Unable to parse XML-RPC Response\n"
"\n"
"%s"
msgstr ""
-"Ikke i stand til at fortolke XML-RPC-svar\n"
-"\n"
-"%d\n"
+"Kan ikke fortolke XML-RPC-svar\n"
"\n"