Re: Rethinking "Supported language"

Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
2008/2/19 Mişu Moldovan <dumol gnome ro>:
"Ihar Hrachyshka" <ihar hrachyshka gmail com> a scris:
2008/2/19 Mişu Moldovan <dumol gnome ro>:
I'm not against translating them, it's just that they are of no use
to regular users.
Who are these regular users, hum? Am I not "regular"? If "regular"
users don't need these tools then - just drop them! If they are there,
in official release sets then it's what our users (newbies and
photographers aren't better or smth then programmers) need.
I'm not against releasing them either... Just don't count their
localizations when deciding which language are supported and which are
not because most of the users do not use them at all.
Most users don't use accessibility features provided by GNOME (and
here are > 1000 messages!). Most users don't use "zenity" rapid
scripting system and our Windows remote connectivity tools for GNOME.
Is it the reason not to count them as a 100% GNOME component?
As I mentioned earlier, the "Supported language" is for use in the release notes only. By not counting the devel tools, we lower the barrier for new languages to get the "supported" badge. We already do something similar, but not counting the documentation in the %80 barrier.

The proper question then, would be: Is it a significant effect to your team and
your local marketing of GNOME if you are in the "supported language" group?

The languages that could take advantage from this include (70%-79% in
http://l10n.gnome.org/releases/gnome-2-22 )

Latvian
Basque
Hindi
Bengali (India)
Malayalam
Albanian
Welsh
Assamese
Hebrew
Marathi
Indonesia
Bengali
Romanian

If you can speak up for these languages, then it would make sense to make the 80% adjustment.

Otherwise, it would be better to spend the time translating ;-)

Simos