Re: New translations

Hi there,

And last question. I saw there is trunk and branch for all modules in
svn server. Where I must work, in trunk or in branches?

This depends on what you want to do. By example, on the GNOME 2.20 page
[1], you can see if modules have already branched by looking at the
downbload links of po/pot files (HEAD=trunk, branch-2-??=branch). As
long as the stable release has releases ahead, according to release
planning [2], it's worth committing both in branch and in trunk.

Now you have to establish a strategy: either you always commit both in
stable branch and in trunk, or you can choose to only commit in stable
until a particular date when you decide to work in trunk for the new
development release. With this second strategy, you'll want to merge
files from branch to trunk with a command like 'msgmerge branch.po
trunk.pot > newfilefortrunk.po'.

Hope it's clear enough :-/

For me, it's a pretty mess. I'm at the stage that I need to get SVN account and start working with that, however it seems that things are rather getting complicated, than simple. I'm getting scared, and I don't even have an account so far!

Is there some human-readable article of what to do with SVN account and how to commit? Is there a way to make the whole process more straightforward and simple?

Moreover, I don't see many reasons, why should we bother with separate versions of translation. The program uses some phrases. Newer version of application should keep some compatibility with reasonable old previous versions. New strings? Why not. Let's put them to the translation. If the old application dosen't need the new strings, then it should just ignore them. I hope, that the possibility that the same string needs to be translated differently with different versions of application, is rare, and even should be avoided by just creating new, althought similar string.

Peter