Re: Formatting lists of things

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:05:15 +0100, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 12:38 -0300, Raphael Higino wrote:
First a silly note (and question too): AFAIK in English you'd just use
that last comma for disambiguation purposes, right?
Actually, in English, whether or not you include the comma
before "and" (we call it the serial comma) depends on whose
style guide you adhere to.  If you want to follow Shaun's
Guide to Perfect English (which I make up as I go along),
then you always include the serial comma. :)

Actually, in American English you use the Oxford comma (so called after Oxford University's style guide). In other Englishes it depends very much on the style guide. Generally British English hates the superfluous comma unless it disambiguates the sentence (and then it'd be better to use a semi-colon as a separator), except for Oxford University (but they still advise using -ize instead of -ise).

dave