Re: Translating non-gettext manuals

Hi Daniel,

Today at 13:20, Daniel Nylander wrote:

> I actually created a OMF file for F-Spot. Just copied the English
> version and translated the strings needed. Works great.
> Of course, gnome-doc-utils would be perfered.

It would actually be best to ask f-spot authors to switch over to
gnome-doc-utils for docs.  Care to file a bug and CC me? :)

> po2xml is part of the KDE Development Kit (ermm.. I know. The enemy.)
>
> po2xml  is  a  command-line  tool  that translates the DocBook XML file
>       original-XML using the gettext message file translated-PO.  The
> resulting translated XML file is sent to standard output.

I thought it was named 'poxml', not 'po2xml'.

xml2po is incompatible with poxml: if it worked for f-spot, it was by
sheer luck.  What you probably want when you extract PO file with
xml2po (unless that 'xml2po' you used was also provided by poxml
package), instead of

 > po2xml C/file.xml sv/file.po >sv/file.xml

is to do:

   xml2po -p sv/file.po -l sv C/file.xml >sv/file.xml

If file.po is 'sv.po', you can leave out the '-l sv' parameter (it
sets the lang attribute on DocBook <article>).

The problems you are going to run into is that poxml doesn't remove
surrounding mark-up, and doesn't support nested paragraphs and stuff.

Eg. you might get a message like

  msgid "<em>This is something</em>"

which will never happen with xml2po :)

So, it's not that it's from "enemy", it's simply incompatible—and
worse :)

Cheers,
Danilo