Re: String freeze?

hi rich,

Am Freitag, den 16.02.2007, 15:24 -0800 schrieb Rich Burridge:
> This is a single string in a new file that makes the nautilus file browser
> much easier to use for blind people when used with Orca. By doing the
> reversion above, yes the string will now mean that the string will only be
> in English.

why don't you just ask for approval on gnome-i18n and CC the
release-team and the gnome-doc-list, as described in
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/HandlingStringFreezes ?

chances are good that you will get approval if you explain why it's
important, and because it's still an early freeze state.

introducing a user-visible string and not marking it as translatable is
even worse, and i still consider this as a string freeze break (now
wearing my release-team hat).

however, as correctly stated by Tomas Kuliavas, the message DOES need
gettext support - for example, the czech language changes the plural
form[1] from 4 to 5, especially in this example - it is 4 věci, but 5
vecí (see the difference at the end: i vs. í).

cheers,
andre

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_language#Counting_and_declension
PS: /me likes to thank drom for providing this czech example.

--
 mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed!
 http://www.iomc.de/  | http://blogs.gnome.org/portal/aklapper