Re: Question about gtranslator

Scríobh Djihed Afifi:
> How is RTL support? GNOME supports it quite well, so I'd appreciate it
> if you guys don't hard code widget locations or else things will get
> messy when they are inverted.

    To my knowledge, none of this sort of hard-coding occurs. If you
would like, most of the current code is in the GOBJECT_WORK branch of
subversion. If you could test out the interface and let us know if
anything is broken it would be much appreciated. To my knowledge, none
of the developers are users of RTL languages so this sort of testing
would be quite useful.
>> 1) Why not use the background colour of the row?
>> A light background color that is easy on the eye as well as easy to
>> distinguish is better than icons I believe.
>> And please no, as you suggested, please don't change the color of the message.

    I've been working on this, though I've had difficulty getting gtk+
to cooperate. As far as I can tell, there's no easy way to do this. It's
possible to change cell backgrounds easily but this leaves ugly gaps
between cells. Additionally, it would be great if this would respect the
alternating row colors. If anyone can provide hints in this direction I
would really, really appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows of any
tutorials on symbolic colors in gtk+ I'd love to see them.
>> 2) Please make gtranslator output the correct information on save.
>> Like po save timestamp, and last translator inclusion in the previous
>> translators list, etc...

    I believe that Pablo Sanxiao is working on this right now and that
this should be in subversion soon.
>> 3) Are there any thoughts on plugin integration for gtranslator? It
>> would be nice to be able to write an easy plugin for damned-lies
>> integration for example.

    This has been discussed though I don't believe it will be ready in
time for the first GOBJECT_WORK release. The current focus is on a solid
core. Features like this will likely come with time.
>> 4) Please - Please have some really easy shortcuts to change between
>> messages. Like Ctrl-A for next or Ctrl-Z for previous or something
>> easy. Having to use the mouse drives me insane and wastes a lot of
>> time.

    These should be in place already in subversion, though I don't
believe that they're fixed and may change by release. Feedback on these
is welcome as well.

    Djihed, you may have addressed this and I just missed it, but one
thing I'd like to see addressed is the location of positions of strings
in the code. My own personal opinion (which has no reflection on what's
right) was that they do not belong in the comments box and should
instead be available from right-click as in PoEdit, although Ignacio
quite rightly pointed out that not all users will make use of the
message table and thus this won't work quite as well. Both feedback on
current placement ideas as well as novel ideas would be greatly
appreciated here.

Seán de Búrca