Re: Would it save time for translators to fold similar lines?

On 02/12/2007, helix84 <helix84 centrum sk> wrote:
> In the general case, this would work for Slovak. But be sure to give
> context id to the variable values (i.e. "htmlattr|top",
> "htmlattr|bottom"). In our case, this is because the word used in a
> specific place in one sentence (context) _may_ have a different
> grammatical case than in another sentence (context) but all from the
> same context will have the same grammatical case. Context will need to
> be specified in the comment to msgid containing the sentence with the
> variable.

I take your point. I am a little puzzled, though, as to why the
variable values top/bottom/left/right/etc (they're not actually HTML
attributes, but close enough) would need to appear in the .po at all,
since the word is a fixed value like "bottom" (which happens to have a
semantic value in English, but could just as well be a number or a
string of random characters) and therefore, as I suppose, can't have
any morphological changes applied to it, whatever the language. I may
always be wrong, of course. :)

Thomas