Re: Would it save time for translators to fold similar lines?

I will comment 1) only.

In this specific case, this would be IMHO desirable, as "top",
"bottom" etc will not be translated (they're HTML attribute values, if
I understand correctly).

In the general case, this would work for Slovak. But be sure to give
context id to the variable values (i.e. "htmlattr|top",
"htmlattr|bottom"). In our case, this is because the word used in a
specific place in one sentence (context) _may_ have a different
grammatical case than in another sentence (context) but all from the
same context will have the same grammatical case. Context will need to
be specified in the comment to msgid containing the sentence with the
variable.

Moreover, I don't know if it would save any effort to those who use
translation memory. I don't so I can't tell. This should be
considered.