Re: Replace 'side pane' by 'sidebar' in Nautilus

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 10:32 +0300, Lucas Rocha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Shouldn't all GNOME applications use the same name for equivalent UI
> elements? Currently, we have:
>
> Evince: Side Pane
> Eye of GNOME: Side Pane
> Gedit: Side Pane
> Nautilus: Sidebar (Proposed)
> Totem: Sidebar
>
> Personally, I prefer "Pane" instead of "Bar". IMO, "Bar" is something
> more suitable for menubar or toolbar (ah, and of course to drink some
> beers! :-P)

The (currently offline) GNOME Documentation Style Guide is the final
arbiter, and for now it says "side pane".

http://web.archive.org/web/20061206012720/developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-desktop.html

Until somebody updates the style guide, calling it anything else is a
bug :)

Cheeri,
Calum.