Re: [Fwd: Re: GNOME 2.16 release notes]

On 03/09/2006, at 4:00 PM, Daniel Nylander wrote:

Brent Smith skrev:

The release notes can now be translated - they are in the gnomeweb- wml
module, at www.gnome.org/start/2.16/notes/docbook

They use gnome-doc-utils/xml2po for translation

Not Found

The requested URL /start/2.16/notes/docbook was not found on this server.

It's not a HTTP URL. Brent is assuming everyone has translated these Release Notes before, and is familiar with their location in Gnome CVS.

they are in the gnomeweb-wml
module, at www.gnome.org/start/2.16/notes/docbook

gnomeweb-wml is the name of the module in Gnome CVS. The path is www.gnome.org/start/2.16/notes/docbook/C/

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnomeweb-wml/www.gnome.org/start/2.16/ notes/docbook/C/

is the HTTP URL, but if you're going to translate the notes, with images, you'll need to check out the module and keep your working copy current (unless you are working as part of a team and sending your completed files to the team-member maintaining the working copy).

You can use the existing images, but it really looks great if you can supply localized images. :)

I notice that the Release Notes this year are in several files, not in one single file. (This is very fiddly for merging previous translations.)

release-notes.xml is the main file, and the other .xml files are "includes", which will be plugged into the main file when it is displayed online. So we need to translate _all_ the .xml files listed in the "C" directory, not only "release-notes.xml".

For those of us who prefer to work in .po format, this means converting each file, then converting back. :( So it really would help if we could have the whole doc as _one_ PO file for each language, or POT for new languages, on the docs page, all merged and ready!

Note that you can use either gnome-doc-utils/poxml or po4a [1] to convert the DocBook files. If you're collecting sets of converters, the Translate Toolkit [2] rounds them out. For those interested in distributed/online translation, Pootle integrates [3] both po4a and the Translate Toolkit, so can convert your docs for you. ;)

I remember some mention, some time back, of a way to get localized screenshots without each team having to install a pre-release. Is this available, and if so, how do we use it?

It does help that the text of the release notes is still very similar with 2.14, so we can re-use quite a bit of our previous work. Thankyou to whoever started using entities [4] for the version numbers: &gnomeversion; and &lastversion; will save us more fiddling next time. :)

No doubt I will have more questions and comments as I work my way through this translation...

[1] http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/
[2] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/index
[3] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/nonpo
[4] If you haven't dealt with entities before, they are HTML/XML placeholders, like the printf %s and %d, or the Python %(noun)s and % (number)d, which we routinely encounter in PO files. Entities begin with an ampersand (&) and end with a semicolon (;) :
&entity;
Just like with any other placeholder, don't change them, and make sure they still have their & and ; when you finish. You can actually declare your own entities, so it's worth reading up on them.