Re: Populations

On 11/03/2006, at 6:51 AM, Danilo Åegan wrote:

Today at 5:24, Clytie Siddall wrote:

What puzzles me is where this data comes from. I know last time we
did the Release Notes, I queried the number of Vietnamese speakers,
since the last official census in Vietnam reported a much larger
figure than that in the release notes. I think it bugs any user group
when information about them is seriously inaccurate.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=vie

Note what people usually tell you is the number of citizens, not first
language speakers.  And, if we start counting second language speakers
as well, we'd get pretty large figures for English, Spanish, French,
German and other popular foreign languages.

I think the Ethnologue figures for my country have the same problem as the Thai figures: yes, we do have minority cultural groups, and they probably represent the missing figures, but the national language, used for government, education and software, is Vietnamese. Using this figure actually disadvantages these already disadvantaged groups, since it does not represent them.

Sure, when someone finally volunteers to translate software into all these very local languages, that will be good for that local culture. But they will still be reading and writing the bulk of their information in Vietnamese.

The census figures represent the number of people who filled in that census (in Vietnamese ;) ), the number of people living in that country who use that language for daily information access and dispersal. I think those figures are more appropriate to representing the number of people who will use our localized software when they get access to it.

(Thanks, Theppitak, for clearing up the discrepancy between the Ethnologue figures and the census. I couldn't work out where those figures had gone.)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)