Re: New Urdu Team

On 6/20/06, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
On 6/15/06, Muhammad Waqas Alam <mwalam_uk yahoo co uk> wrote:
> Dear Christian and Danilo,
> There was no reply from Shahzad, the current coordinator of the Urdu
> translations, for over a week. The initial e-mail was sent at
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2006-June/msg00037.html
>
> Is it possible to arrange now to change the Urdu coordinator?
> I am interested in becoming the coordinator of the GNOME Urdu Localisation
> effort.

Dear Muhammad, I am sorry for the delay.

I and many others would obviously love to see GNOME finally get some
Urdu support, but past experiences with past Urdu coordinators have
left me a little suspicious.

You see, the current Urdu coordinator (Shahzad Chohan) took over the
Urdu coordinatorship after the coordinator before him (Adeel Munir)
had proven to do nothing at all, not ever producing a single Urdu
translation, nor responding to any requests. This was in March 2004
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2004-March/msg00268.html).

Now we are here, several years later, in the exact same position, but
now it's with Shahzad Chohan -- he has also failed to produce and
contribute a single message of Urdu, so the Urdu stats is still 0%,
and he doesn't respond to mails either.

So you probably see why I am frustrated and suspicious about the
situation. To ease my mind, could you please give me a reference
(preferrably an URL) that points to past Urdu translations that you
have produced? It would be a lot of help in determining that this time
it's "for real", before we make a decision about the new
coordinatorship for Urdu.

Ok, I have taken a look at http://projects.urduweb.org/ and
http://l10n.urduweb.org/entrans/main.php and what's there in GNOME
translations is obviously not much (yet), but at least it's a start. I
have added the gtk+ and gnome-desktop translations from there to
upstream GNOME CVS now, so they will eventually show up on
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.16/ur/developer-libs/ and
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.16/ur/desktop/ respectively. I
hope that is okay with you.

Muhammad, I have made you the new Urdu coordinator in GNOME now. I
have updated the http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html
page; please make sure the listing is correct. Furthermore, I have
created a component in Bugzilla,
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=l10n , that
can be used for bug reporting. Please also verify the correctness of
that listing.

You're most welcome as the new Urdu coordinator. Please make sure to
cooperate with other Urdu volunteers that want to join. The rules for
translator CVS access can be found at
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/RequestingAnAccount , as you
can see, you will have to contribute some more complete translations
and have had them committed to GNOME CVS before you can have an
account of yourself. Just send an URL with the translations that you
want added to this list and ask for someone to commit the translations
for you. When you feel that you've contributed enough complete
translations to fulfill the requirements listed on the
RequestingAnAccount page, then send an account request.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, either here
on this list or on the #i18n channel on irc.gnome.org.