Re: msgmerge problem

On 6/22/06, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando apesteguia gmail com> wrote:
Sorry, but just to be clear:

If one of my translators send me a file specifying that he used an ISO-XXX-X
encoding, what should I do? Convert to UTF-8 and set charset=UTF-8 or keep
the file intact and set charset=ISO-XXX-X?

The best thing to do would be to ask the translators to convert their
po files to UTF-8 themselves, since they are the best ones to verify
that their accented characters/script indeed are still correct when
converted.

If some translator for some reason cannot convert to UTF-8 themselves,
then of course the second best thing is for you to convert the file
for them.

You can use 'msgconv' for converting to UTF-8 (if the original
encoding information in the po header is correct) or 'iconv' (if the
encoding information in the po header is incorrect).

What is the preferred behaviour for a GNOME application?

For any GTK+ 2 application, the preferred encoding is UTF-8.

In fact, we actually require all po files to be encoded in UTF-8 in
the GNOME Translation Project.