msgmerge problem

Hi list,

I still have the same problem that I reported a few days ago. I can't integrate my Croatinan .po file into my project. I'm using msgmerge and msgfmt from gettext-tools 0.14.1

Here, the es.po and eu.po are processed without problems. The .gmo files are created as expected. However the Croatian file fails at msgmerge throwing a lot of "invalid multibyte sequence".
The file's header contains these lines:

I downloaded and successfully compiled gaim and I looked for differences between it's .po files and the mine ones... but the charset and enconding are the same.
My croatian translator sent the file compressed as someone recommend to me.

I don't know what more I can do... if you want I can post the entire .po file or the complete header as you want...

Can you help me please?

PS: I explored another possibility but I'm not sure about that: Are msgmerge and msgfmt influenced by my locale configuration? Maybe my system is not properly configured?

Best regards and thanks in advance