Re: msgmerge problem

On 6/18/06, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando apesteguia gmail com> wrote:
 I still have the same problem that I reported a few days ago. I can't
integrate my Croatinan .po file into my project. I'm using msgmerge and
msgfmt from gettext-tools 0.14.1

 Here, the es.po and eu.po are processed without problems. The .gmo files
are created as expected. However the Croatian file fails at msgmerge
throwing a lot of "invalid multibyte sequence".
 The file's header contains these lines:

Sounds like Croatian po file isn't actually encoded in UTF-8, even
though its headers says it is. That's the most likely reason why the
gettext tools would complain about "invalid multibyte sequence".

 I downloaded and successfully compiled gaim and I looked for differences
between it's .po files and the mine ones... but the charset and enconding
are the same.

How did you check the encoding? Do you mean that you compared the
encodings listed in the file headers, or the actual encodings of the
files?

 My croatian translator sent the file compressed as someone recommend to me.

Ok. Sending the file compressed should make sure that the encoding is
preserved. If you are sure that you haven't altered the encoding
yourself by mistake (for example by opening the file in a non UTF8
aware editor), then the error is probably that the encoding was wrong
to begin with, i.e. that your translator sent you a wrongly encoded
file.