Re: Conflicting ChangeLogs

On 04/06/2006, at 3:03 AM, Åsmund Skjæveland wrote:

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 04:16:24PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
Speaking of ChangeLogs, I've come across quite a few recently which
have needed reconciling: I update the ChangeLog, and CVS tells me
it's tried to merge the differences, but is giving up with a
headache, so it passes the headache on to me. ;)

I don't mind doing this occasionally, but I've had to do it too many
times recently. It can take a while, with large differences.

I think it's nearly always (or always) been Gnome-2-14 modules'
ChangeLogs.

Is there any reason why so many ChangeLogs would have major
conflicts? If so, is there anything we can do to avoid it?

do a "cvs update ChangeLog" before you add your entry. Don't add your
entry until just before you commit your updated PO file. It's a lot
less likely that somebody else will update the ChangeLog in the minute
it takes you to update the ChangeLog, add your entry, and commit the
new ChangeLog and PO files.

Åsmund, I _do_ cvs update the ChangeLog just before I need to edit it. The conflict is apparently between my current copy of the ChangeLog and that on the server. It usually occurs when I have checked out the Gnome-2-14 module, then want to update it for the first time. I have no idea why the copy on server become so different in that time, nor why cvs can't integrate those differences.

I'll keep a copy next time it happens. Maybe that will help me sort out what is happening.

Thanks for your help. :)