Re: Need help in translating in new language

On 5:17:49 pm 06/04/06 "asim wagan" <asim wagan gmail com> wrote:
[...]
> I am interested in supporting sindhi language for gnome. I need some
> help on how to do it  in gnome. Language code for sindhi is [sd]. It
> is written similarly like arabic script , some work is already gone
> into developing some crude fonts. So I have really start from scratch
> for this.

Hi,
  It is great that you want to spearhead an effort for Sindhi
localization. Please consider joining the IndLinux effort
(http://indlinux.org). You should post a copy of this to the
indlinux-group mailing list, which you can subscribe to from the
top of http://indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/MailingLists. Despite the
name, IndLinux is about localizing free software to Indic languages,
and is not particularly restricted to India or Linux. Most of the
actual work is done by individual language teams.
  You will need to do several things for starting work on a new Indic
language, including:
(i) An OpenType, Unicode font.
(ii) Keymaps, and/or other input methods for Sindhi support.
(iii) An editor that supports the script.
(iv) A locale that defines linguistic and cultural preferences for
     Sindhi.
If Sindhi uses an Arabic script, all of these should be quite easily
doable. Let us continue this conversation on indlinux-group, as it is
probably a little off-topic for gnome-i18n.

Regards,
Gora