Re: Markup in messages

On 7/25/06, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
On 7/25/06, Abel Cheung <abelcheung gmail com> wrote:
> Due to absense of freely available boldface Chinese font, I
> have seen somebody translate things like:
>
> msgid "<b>%s</b>"
> msgstr "<i>%s</i>"
>
> in order to distinguish it from normal text.
>
> Of course in most cases the proper 'fix' is to have a boldtype
> font. But creating a boldface font is not always that easy,
> when one is talking about complex scripts that consists of
> at least hundreds or thousands of glyphs; and it needs quite
> some human horsepower as well, which may not be available for
> newly available languages in F/OSS world.

I understand that problem, but I for sure don't agree that this is the
proper way to fix it, as this hack, that is, gratiously including
surrounding markup inside the translateable message content, causes a
lot of problems for all translators. As a translator you want to
translate the *content*, not the surrounding presentation. I don't
care whether the words will be written on a billboard, a folder, or
on-screen, the words will be the same. As Clytie explained:
It raises a question. What are we going to do with those translations
once the bug is fixed? We can't just throw them away because the UI
will become different (as in Abel's case, everything going back bold
is not so nice for users). We may need a tool to check for this before
doing migration.