Re: Problems with the French team

On 7/21/06, Benoît Dejean <benoit placenet org> wrote:
> C) I'd like someone to step up volunteering for being a new
> coordinator for the French team (on the list, please). I'd like that
> person to give a summary of contributions and his or her current role
> in the French team, and a short explanation of why this person would
> be a better coordinator. Remember that if noone offers to be a new
> coordinator, a coordinator change will simply not be possible.

I'd like to be the new Gnome French __team__ coordinator.

But i don't want to start an endless war, so if RedFox doesn't want to
retire and if my candidature doesn't quickly reach a consensus, i'll
withdraw my candidature. I'd like to do what's best for the project.

I don't think you should expect much of a consensus unfortunately --
this issue is so delicate by now that no matter what course of action
we take, someone will be unhappy about it.

        I have actively led the French team for 5 months and i think i did
quite well. Thanks to Vertimus[1], we have started to work as a team and
have achieved great work. We (lately) managed to complete 2.14
translation at more than 99.93%.

        Vertimus allows us to work in a decentralized way (no more bottlenecks)
and we can now easily delegate work : there can be translators,
proof-readers and commiters. A proof-reader is a trusty translator :
there's mostly no need to look after him. A commiter is proof-reader
that is ultimately trusted who has a CVS write access.

But Vertimus is just tool. That's why if i were the new coordinator :

- I would make GnomeFr more open.

- I would bring together a small team of 2 or 3 commiters to avoid
bottlenecks. Even if a quick review and a commit don't take a lot of
time, there are dozens of modules. The 2 or 3 of us would work closely
to keep the project consistent but each of us would be assigned to a set
of translations (desktop, libs, etc).
We currently have 5 proof-readers which is not enough. Many modules have
a dedicated maintainer (often needed because the software is very
specific, like ekiga). I would try to bring together all these people
and set them as proof-readers.

- I would try to establish friendly links between the translation team
and the French-speaking Gnome developers.

- We started to report a lot of strings bugs. We'd continue that.

Thanks for your candidature, Benoît.

Is there anyone that feels that Benoît would, or would not, make a
good coordinator? Then please state those opinions and your motivation
for them.