Re: Problems with the French team

Jonathan Ernst a �it :
Hi everyone,

First of all, here is  a copy of the last message I sent to
accounts gnome org in reply to RedFox denial to give me a CVS account.
Unfortunately I never got an answer to it :

Le dimanche 16 juillet 2006 �1:07 +0000, Christophe Merlet (RedFox)
via RT a �it :
[...]
RedFox has been unresponsive for months and does not participate
anymore
in GNOME's translation. Many people can confirm this. GNOME 2.16 is
getting closer and we don't want to be late this time.
[...]
I confirm that I am the GNOME French translation coordinator.

Good to know! Can you please state _when_ you will resume your work as a
_commiter_ for this project (being more responsive on the ML would be a
plus)?

Read the mailing-list, Benoit is not more the coordinator.

 Good contributed translations are rotting and getting outdated
since March or May at least (see here for example:
http://tmp.vuntz.net/l10n/moduleset.php?id=3).

Benoit was the coordinator at this time . I am making up for this lost time. I remind to you that I was hospitalized at that time.

On IRC you told us you will resume your work in June, then July, then
August ;

I said that I took again service in July after the RMLL. It is the case. I never talk about august !
Here the retranscription of IRC the june 26, 2006
16.10.42 Join    jernst [0] (~jernst adsl-62-167-125-76 adslplus ch)
16.22.47 # <jernst> RedFox: Hello, �fait bient� mois que rien ne se passe au niveau de la traduction. Est-ce que tu penses bient�recommencer ton travail de chef relecteur/commiteur ?
16.23.25 #       <RedFox> Oui, je compte faire un mail sous peu
16.23.31 #       <RedFox> je suis en vaconces des aujourd'hui
16.23.41 #       <RedFox> jusqu'au 30 aout
16.23.56 #       <RedFox> je bosse juste du 1 aout au 15 aout
16.24.14 # <RedFox> donc , il va falloir en profiter pour s'occuper �ond de gnome 2.16 16.24.32 # <RedFox> par ailleurs, il y a la migration du CVS GNOME vers Subversion
16.24.35 #       <jernst> donc du 15 aout au 30 tu seras dispo pour gnome ?
16.24.40 #       <RedFox> oui
16.25.02 # <RedFox> mais, on va s'y prend des maintenant autant que possible
16.25.17 #       <RedFox> histoire d'avoir *toutes* les applis traduites
16.25.35 # <jernst> Il y a d� pas mal de choses qui sont pr�s �tre commit�. Ca serait bien de clore d�nitivement 2.14 quand m�

 in the meanwhile I'm getting sick and tired to get new versions
of my favourite tools (Gimp, Evolution, etc.) that are half-translated
altough I know that a much better translation is available at Vertimus
(the system we are using since months to keep track of contributions for
which AFAIK, you don't even have an account yet).

Fortunately that I have an account, if not how could I read and commit translations :)

But Benoit was also the person in charge at this time. I does not understand why you claim that these last months be catastrophic while at the same time you claim that Benoit made better job.
I concluded from it that the problem is in your head: (

In addition, I do not approve the opening of accounts for Jonathan
Ernst
and Damien Durand.

I respect your decision, but could you please state why you are not
approving it ?

Because I don't know you, because I don't know the quality of your translations, because you appears immature to me. But it east can be only one impression which will improve with time.

Altough I'm always present on both #gnomefr and #gnome-fr, I have to say
that I know several people that don't want to show up in #gnome-fr
because of your attitude (being very rude on the ML some months ago is
certainly one of the reasons). That said, most of the discussion about
GNOME in general and GNOME French translation are now held in #gnomefr
as a result.

Yes #gnomefr is now for *general* discussion about GNOME.
#gnome-fr is for the GNOME French translation.

I know you have had some issue with some people there but I
ask you to please forget about past gripes and restore a good
collaboration environment troughout the project.

GNOME Translation Project is on #gnome-fr.

Failing to do so will
lead to more segmentation and to more incomplete translation (Ubuntu
already has a far more complete (and sometimes incorrect) French
translation because of the upstream failure to provide a complete and
accurate French translation.

People from Sun, Mandriva, Debian, Red Hat, Novell... contribute to french translation. Your disgression about Ubuntu is except subject.

Now some history :

I started working on GNOME French translation only lately (since March)

Haaaaaaa, ok....
Then how can you ask for my departure for incompetence and claim that I spend time to commit translations while at the same time you arrived only in March and than for this reason, I never was in contact with your translations. Funny, very funny :-D good joke :)

(but I have been active in many other translation and open source
projects) when I wanted to start contributing I read the pages found on
the much outdated "official" site here: http://gnomefr.traduc.org/ which
still states that new translator should contact RedFox to be given a
chance to contribute. I did so and waited some weeks until it became
apparent that I'll never get a reply from the official maintainer. I
made some more research and learned about the _unofficial_ website here
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeFr/Traduire and started to work using the
well made Vertimus system. I started to announce the completed
translation on the list to make the commiters aware that some work was
done and never got a reply.

That was also the time when RedFox said he was no more sick and he'll
start resumming his duties. He said that in reply to one of my mail
where I suggested that we got rid of the old outdated confusing website
and use the new wiki :
http://benji1.traduc.org/pipermail/gnomefr/2006-May/001131.html

www.traduc.org is a wiki since years... not gnomefr.traduc.org...
gnomefr.traduc.org will not be a wiki. sorry.

RedFox as usual refused any significant change saying that everything
was good enough and that if some changes were needed on the web site
anybody could just ask on the list.

I thanked him and made a list of needed changes:
http://benji1.traduc.org/pipermail/gnomefr/2006-May/001151.html

Of course I never got an answer and nothing changed...

Your suggestion was reviewed, some were integrated, and no, there is no wiki :)

I continued my work as a translator despite the flames on the list and
the rude language of RedFox and become a better GNOME translator in the
process. At that time I had contributed to virtually every module of
GNOME but due to the lack of reviewer/commiter most of my (and other's)
work was done in vain as it kept missing the release milestones.

GNOME 2.16 is scheduled for september.
Perhaps is a this bad idea to translate gnome 2.16 6 months in advance apart from the period of string freeze? Vertimus is a tool to open the translation process, not to do anything in spite of the good direction.

Then, no, you are not ready to have a CVS account.

Again, I am sorry to have fallen sick and not to have been to hold you there by the hand. It seems that people in #gnomefr did not know to be of good council for you :( Normal, they are not translators.

	Librement,
--
Christophe Merlet (RedFox)