Re: Problems with the French team

Hi everyone,

First of all, here is  a copy of the last message I sent to
accounts gnome org in reply to RedFox denial to give me a CVS account.
Unfortunately I never got an answer to it :

Le dimanche 16 juillet 2006 à 21:07 +0000, Christophe Merlet (RedFox)
via RT a écrit :
[...]
> > RedFox has been unresponsive for months and does not participate
anymore
> > in GNOME's translation. Many people can confirm this. GNOME 2.16 is
> > getting closer and we don't want to be late this time.

[...]
> I confirm that I am the GNOME French translation coordinator.

Good to know! Can you please state _when_ you will resume your work as a
_commiter_ for this project (being more responsive on the ML would be a
plus)? Good contributed translations are rotting and getting outdated
since March or May at least (see here for example:
http://tmp.vuntz.net/l10n/moduleset.php?id=3).

On IRC you told us you will resume your work in June, then July, then
August ; in the meanwhile I'm getting sick and tired to get new versions
of my favourite tools (Gimp, Evolution, etc.) that are half-translated
altough I know that a much better translation is available at Vertimus
(the system we are using since months to keep track of contributions for
which AFAIK, you don't even have an account yet).

> I was ill the first months of the year and Benoit Dejean was my
> remplacant for that time.
>
> Now that I am cured, Benoit Dejean is not responsible any more for
the
> translations.

At least he took time to commit/check some of the work that has been
done for the main modules
(http://tmp.vuntz.net/l10n/moduleset.php?id=10). Most of these
translations where ready for the latests Gnome 2.14.x releases but
didn't made it in due to the lack of workforce. Let's hope that we don't
miss the next big release because of the same issue.

> In addition, I do not approve the opening of accounts for Jonathan
Ernst
> and Damien Durand.

I respect your decision, but could you please state why you are not
approving it ?

> I was always and am always listening on IRC channel #gnome-fr
> Benoit Dejean left for some time this channel dedicated to the
> translators. May be he has an explanation?

Altough I'm always present on both #gnomefr and #gnome-fr, I have to say
that I know several people that don't want to show up in #gnome-fr
because of your attitude (being very rude on the ML some months ago is
certainly one of the reasons). That said, most of the discussion about
GNOME in general and GNOME French translation are now held in #gnomefr
as a result. I know you have had some issue with some people there but I
ask you to please forget about past gripes and restore a good
collaboration environment troughout the project. Failing to do so will
lead to more segmentation and to more incomplete translation (Ubuntu
already has a far more complete (and sometimes incorrect) French
translation because of the upstream failure to provide a complete and
accurate French translation.

To finish, please understand that I have nothing personal against you.
My only hope is that the work I and others put into this project won't
be lost because of dictatorial behaviour and failure to recognize the
fact that you might need help to complete the task at hand. I also hope
that the people I am "porting" to GNOME will get the best possible
localization. Instead of _saying_ that you are returning as the French
maintainer, please _act_ and start second reading/commiting some of the
numerous translations found at Vertimus.

Thank you for reading. Best regards.

Jonathan Ernst

Now some history :

I started working on GNOME French translation only lately (since March)
(but I have been active in many other translation and open source
projects) when I wanted to start contributing I read the pages found on
the much outdated "official" site here: http://gnomefr.traduc.org/ which
still states that new translator should contact RedFox to be given a
chance to contribute. I did so and waited some weeks until it became
apparent that I'll never get a reply from the official maintainer. I
made some more research and learned about the _unofficial_ website here
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeFr/Traduire and started to work using the
well made Vertimus system. I started to announce the completed
translation on the list to make the commiters aware that some work was
done and never got a reply.

That was also the time when RedFox said he was no more sick and he'll
start resumming his duties. He said that in reply to one of my mail
where I suggested that we got rid of the old outdated confusing website
and use the new wiki :
http://benji1.traduc.org/pipermail/gnomefr/2006-May/001131.html

RedFox as usual refused any significant change saying that everything
was good enough and that if some changes were needed on the web site
anybody could just ask on the list.

I thanked him and made a list of needed changes:
http://benji1.traduc.org/pipermail/gnomefr/2006-May/001151.html

Of course I never got an answer and nothing changed...

I continued my work as a translator despite the flames on the list and
the rude language of RedFox and become a better GNOME translator in the
process. At that time I had contributed to virtually every module of
GNOME but due to the lack of reviewer/commiter most of my (and other's)
work was done in vain as it kept missing the release milestones.

RedFox argument for the slowness of the process is that we need to keep
the quality of the French translation very high. I agree with the
argument but many here can testify that the pending translations are far
more complete and correct a lot of issues with the current translation.
Furthermore, AFAIK he never commited a single translation since he came
back.

I won't continue this already too long e-mail, but I just hope that
we'll find a solution to the problem very soon because I don't think
I'll want to spend more energy on this project if it's pure loss. I much
enjoyed my translation work (too bad most GNOME user didn't benefit from
it because it is never commited in time) and the other work I did for
GNOME French translation (uniformization work with Sun, Mozilla and KDE
for example: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeFr/Menus)

We also need to get rid of the duplicate websites/IRC channels, etc. and
start working together.

Last but not least I don't care about getting a CVS account, I would
rather spend the time needed to commit translation into actually
translating more modules but someone responsive needs to start _acting_
and commiting the translations.

Best regards.

Jonathan Ernst