Re: Problems with the French team

Forenote: I'm not a regular contributor of french translations, and barely
anyone knows me on the list since I post nearly nothing there. But I think
it is important that the most people give their opinion on the subject to
try to conclude some long living problems.

When I started to participate in translations, it was the usage to contact
Christophe(RedFox) to reserve the po file. Then the translation had to be
sent to him, so that he could check it and commit it. I always thought I
could have posted also on the list to get help on some words or to get a
first proof reading.

I understand that what is reproched to Christophe is that:

  - He was a bottleneck in the whole process.
  - We had no information about the proof readings and commits progress.
  - The flames on the list lead to think he is isolated, and relunctant
      to the changement

My opinion is:

  - Christophe *really* was a bottleneck. But Christophe also has always
asked for a system to do the reservation. He didn't want to develop it
himself and has quite often replied to its detractors to develop such a
tool. Today, at last, we have vertimus. We also have a wiki, but I do not
see the point with it. It is lots of work to multiply the sources of
information and keep them in sync. I would have prefer one or two persons
in charge of the website, listening for questions and requests, discussing
each of them.

  - I agree that we had few information about the process. Moreover,
Christophe seemed to be unavailable from time to time for answering on the
list (however, many messages on the list for a year now were flames). I think
we miss a small identified staff, which could answer on the behalf of
Christophe, and organize major things with him. The new person in charge of
the documents translation is a very great step in this direction.

  - At last, why can't people discuss one simple thing at one time on the
list, limiting flames, writing pros and cons ? That was a heartfelt cry :)

Thanks for reading.

--
David.