Re: Fonts for distribution

On 25/02/2006, at 8:06 AM, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

ØÙØ ÚÙØØØÙØÙØ 2006-02-22 ØØØØ 18:21 +0330Ø Roozbeh Pournader ÙÙØØ:

Gentium, Doulos, and Charis are already available in Fedora, in packages
named "gentium-fonts", "doulos-fonts", and "charis-fonts". All three are
currently available for Fedora Core 5 test versions, while at the
present moment only gentium-fonts is available for Fedora Core 4 (Charis
and Doulos will be available in a few days).

For example, to install the Gentium on Fedora, one can simply type:
# yum install gentium-fonts

Well, charis-fonts and doulos-fonts are now also available for Fedora Core 4: # yum install charis-fonts doulos-fonts

So, could we release them (plus Gentium) with Gnome? Do we distribute any true Unicode fonts with Gnome yet?

This is an accessibility issue as well as a i18n issue: it's more difficult for users to access localizations if they have to hunt around for suitable fonts. I remember getting an email from a lady who had no idea where to find fonts for Vietnamese, and actually thought that meant she couldn't use her own language on her computer. She had been stuck that way for _years_. :(

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)