Re: Requesting string change approval in gnome-utils

Le dimanche 19 février 2006 à 11:05 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:35 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Le samedi 18 février 2006 à 15:54 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi a écrit :
>
> > > The patch attached to comment #10 of the bug report adds an error dialog
> > > asking the user what to do (delete file or close), and another couple of
> > > error dialogs; specifically, the most important addition is:
> >
> > Dumb question: isn't it simpler to just use another name now? We didn't
> > yet release a stable version with this code, so changing the name now is
> > not breaking anything...
>
> People using Gnome from CVS (or Ubuntu Dapper) would not find their
> custom dictionary sources anymore.  But, hey: things from HEAD break
> sometimes. ;-)
>
> Anyway, as I said, the file that is causing the name clash is "stale",
> and has been so since Gnome 2.0; I finally found the last working code
> using a file for saving preferences: it's tagged for gnome-utils 1.4,
> and it was created by GnomeConfig, before the preferences handling was
> re-written to use GConf; after that, no code mentions such file.
>
> So we can safely assume that we can delete the file - unless someone has
> created a file called "gnome-dictionary" inside $HOME/.gnome2; hence the
> conservative approach.  I could rename the data directory to something
> like "gnome-dictionary-2.0", but think of this as a way to sanitize
> the .gnome2 directory. :-)

The file comes from GNOME 2.x (it can't be in ~/.gnome2/ if it comes
from gnome-utils 1.4). However, it only contained some bonoboui thing,
IIRC (to configure the toolbar).

Another solution is to rename the old file to gnome-dictionary.old
(or .pre-2.14).

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.