Re: Verbs form in UI actions

2006-12-18 klockan 15:19 skrev Dale Gulledge:
> On 12/18/06, Wouter Bolsterlee <[1]uws+gnome xs4all nl> wrote:
>
>   In English, these words are written as imperatives (spelled the same as
>   infinitive). However, in Dutch, we stick to infinitives only. Imperative
>   form is considered bad style and impolite.
>
> I don't know whether it makes any difference in terms of politeness, but
> I've always interpreted these menu items as imperatives directed at the
> software.  Thus, the user is commanding the program to perform the action.

I was explicitly referring to Dutch here. Imperative style is just not
friendly in Dutch, and it sounds a bit strange as well (all Dutch software
uses infinitives instead of imperatives).

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

never thought i'd fill with desire                                -- placebo