Re: What happens to translations through Launchpad? (Arabic Gnome related)

On 12/1/06, Djihed Afifi <djihedlists googlemail com> wrote:
Hello,

I suspect this question has been asked before over and over. please
excuse me If i missed past discussions. Links are welcome.

I am not sure how translations in Rosetta contribute back to the
projects' mother-ships.

In general, they simply don't.

We've been working hard to get Gnome Arabic back up to speed, and we've
done a pretty decent job, thanks in large part to a dedicated team. We
do our work independently and commit to Gnome CVS.

What happens to the translations made through launchpad? do they get
merged back to Gnome?

In general, no, unless someone does it voluntarily and manually (which
is why it is in general a very, very bad idea to start translating an
upstream project like GNOME through Rosetta instead of in the upstream
translation project itself).

is ubuntu the only distribution that will benefit
from them?

In general, yes (please see the answer to the previous question).

will our work make it to ubuntu packages?

Yes, unless of course if some Rosetta translator is unaware of your
particular translation and/or decides that his/her translation is
better than yours, and decides to overwrite it in Rosetta, in which
case your translated messages will never be used in Ubuntu. At least
that was the case when I last read about upstream translators'
frustrations with Rosetta.