Re: How can I join the Esperanto translation team ?

On 20/04/2006, at 2:31 AM, Young Song wrote:

Hmm... I had also volunteered to help in Korean Gnome community to the
Korean community lead and alias, and this i18n alias and have gotten
absolutely no response for weeks now. Maybe your community and mine have
more than enough help at this time? ;-)

Song and Guillaume, please don't be discouraged. :)

This lack of response definitely indicates a communication failure of some kind. Unfortunately, we have to work through a procedure at times like this, which has been designed to cope with people being away or unable to get online for some reason. It's not endlessly patient, however, just like us ;) so once the failsafe points have been crossed, definite steps are taken.

I would be very surprised indeed if your communities did not need your help. Every volunteer is a great asset.

The only reason we're not saying, 'Just dive in and start translating!" is that we don't want you to waste your effort. You could end up spending time translating something that someone else has already done, or partly done.

One useful guide at this stage is the amount of progress on the status pages for your language. If llittle or no change has occurred there since you said you were willing to translate, then there's probably little risk that your translation time would be wasted. You could probably start translating, and by the time you've finished some files, there would be definite news on your status, and others could review and commit those files for you.

I'm not entirely sure about the procedure in these cases (which I know our coordinators always follow carefully). Do we have it online anywhere, so people can understand how it works?

But undoubtedly, our co-ordinators will get back to you soon, with definite information on the status of your team, and what you can most usefully do at this stage.

NEVER think you're not welcome around here. We value your contribution very much. :)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)