Re: icons for languages

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 14:58 +0200, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
> How about a tiny map, indicating the region where that language is
> traditionally spoken, with the language name in its own script(s)?

Region maps are also controversial, specially when the language has no
nation behind it. Kurdish is most famous example. You can't draw a non-
controversial map of Greater Kurdistan with going head to head with
Arabs, Turks, Azerbaijanis, and Persians.

You can't simply add all the countries that have native speakers either.
Country maps are also very controversial (Taiwan, Nagorno-Karabakh,
Kashmir, Transnistria, South Ossetia, etc. come to mind).

(BTW, the number of speakers is also a very controversial issue, but
that is in GNOME release notes anyway. Not that I have not objected a
few times.)

> IMHO, managing to communicate might perhaps be more important than
> managing not to step on *anybody*'s toes.

Well, we should see how important those anybodys are. If we don't want
to alienate them, we shouldn't.

roozbeh