Re: icons for languages

Hi,

Luis Villa wrote:
If I wanted to put little icons next to the languages here:

http://torrent.gnome.org/

Would flags be appropriate/inappropriate? Anything I should be aware
of if I try to do that? Are there any other decent ways to do signify
language visually?

just an idea, probably not ideal, but hopefully spawning new and better ideas:

How about a tiny map, indicating the region where that language is traditionally spoken, with the language name in its own script(s)?

Unfit for small icons, but perhaps useful in other circumstances?

IMHO, managing to communicate might perhaps be more important than managing not to step on *anybody*'s toes.

Some people think the earth is flat, some are colour blind, etc., so someone or some groups will always be more or less offended - sometimes even by *not* showing a flag.

BR,
Gudmund