Re: Limping on with GIMP

On 13/09/2005, at 4:04 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Clytie Siddall <clytie riverland net au> writes:

Yes, I've struck another string rich in ambiguity, although its
original purpose may well have been to provide information.

#: ../app/tools/gimplevelstool.c:217
msgid "Load Levels"

Now, does this mean, "Load the levels", or "These are levels about

It means "Load Levels from Disk". Are you actually doing the translation without having a look at the user interface? It shouldn't be too hard to open the Levels tool dialog and check where these strings are being used. If you don't do that, your translation will most probably be more confusing than helpful.

It's very difficult, since I'm not a Gnome user. However, I'm also the only active Vietnamese translator for this project, among others. My Gnome co-ordinator has been too busy to participate until recently, but just this last week he's been able to give me some feedback, which helps a lot.

So context is really needed.

<bangs her head on the keyboard again>

What exactly are you trying to tell us by these remarks?

I'm expressing frustration. I managed to finish the gimp.po file last night, and will file some bugs today, including some strings which consisted of a single letter ... and no context.

I find strings like that really frustrating. I think, out of all the files I've translated for the TP, Gnome, Debian and various single- program projects, gimp.po has the least context, and thus makes my task the most difficult.

I'm going on to gimp-gap.po and gimp/po-plugins, which I hope will be better suited to the task.

BTW, if someone wants to add some translator comments to the GIMP source code to reduce ambiguity of such strings, I'd very much welcome such an effort and would take care of applying such a patch as fast as possible.

Is this really our responsibility? I'm interested.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)