Re: GNOME liveCD 2.12 help needed [and 2.13!]

On 9/6/05, Marcus Bauer <marcus bauer gmail com> wrote:
> The liveCD is up for testing, please give it a ride/thorough test and
> post your feedback to the list :-)
>
> Download it here:
> http://www.gnoppix.org/download/gnome-livecd-2.12-i386-en-1.iso
>

> And a quick translation is needed - ASCII only. If that makes no sense
> in some languages we should leave it in english.
>
> -8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
> To start the live CD just press ENTER.
>
> In case that the boot process is not successful you can get
> further advice by pressing [F1]
> -8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> en, fr and de are already there. We urgently need es, br and it. All
> other languages welcome - but no promise that we get liveCDs in every
> language this time.

People are still emailing me and asking why their language isn't
available. Marcus, if people get you more startup bits, are you still
willing to make more CDs?

For 2.13, I think the liveCD translation needs can be mostly summarized as:
* one docbook xml 'guide to the liveCD', and maybe one other docbook
file in the future (a 'reviewer's guide', but it doesn't exist yet.)
* the boot texts for F1->F10

I think it would be cool if those two sets of content could be
converted to use the standard translation framework, so that you guys
could translate it, and then whoever builds the liveCDs can just cvs
up, run make, and then build with the same scripts we currently do (or
whatever the next generation of them is.) Is there anyone who could
help us with that?

There is 'content' like the slides, marketing pdfs, videos, music,
etc., but none of those (as far as I know) are translatable in our
normal manner right now. Translating those might be a matter of local
teams finding equivalent content and just checking them in.

Luis